My Life As A Middle Child - Putting Together The Pieces

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Should I or shouldn't I?

Did I ever tell you how I met my DH? My son was going to a HDL for before and after school care and this happened to be DH’s aunt. He used to come by to visit his aunt and play games with the children. One day when I got there to pick up my son, they were playing football. Yes, he was playing football with 5 to 8 year olds, that alone makes him endearing. I called for my son to toss me the ball (yes, I was in my work clothes and wearing heels) and DH then grabbed me from behind and spun me around to get the ball from me. I will never forget the butterflies I felt in my stomach when we made contact. That was the list time I saw him for several months as my son was going to a summer camp the next week.

I had a bizarre and not so fun summer that year. I turned 30… this was actually the least traumatic part of the summer. My car was in the shop 7 times, I had the gas company out 3 times as I kept smelling gas (it ended up that the built in grill had a leak), and one day I came home and found the electric lines had pulled out of the side of my house. To top it off, I was dating a guy (for the 2nd time) and he decided to suddenly break it off with me again. (Can we say commitment phobia?)

So anyway, my son was going back to HDL as school was starting in a week. That weekend he wanted to go out of town to his grandparents which worked fine for me, as I really needed a break. So, on Friday I go to pick him up and he has changed his mind. He doesn’t want to go out of town, he just wants to go to R’s house as he hasn’t seen him all summer. After discussing this decision with him, he was off.

To go this next part, you have to picture this. I was sitting in a backwards little plastic kid chair at a table that was only 3 feet high at the most. I put my head down and when I sat back up, I started telling HDL how crappy my summer was. It just so happens that DH was there that day. He told me that I was about to have a melt down and really needed some relaxation. I agreed and told him that was what this weekend was supposed to be. He then suggested the sweetest thing… he was house sitting at a huge house, tennis courts and built in pool. He said why don’t you bring your son out on Sunday and I will entertain him while you relax at the pool. I gave him my ph# and he was to call me on Sat night to arrange. My son ended up going out of town the next morning (after a 3 hour drive on my part) so when DH called, I told him thanks, but no thanks. He insisted that I still needed a break and that the pool was just sitting there not being used. I ended up meeting him Sat night, August 23rd and we sat by the pool talking and then dancing into the wee hours of the morning. It was the best evening of my life and I knew that night that this was my one true love… we have been together ever since.

Knowing that my life had been very topsy turvy, DH was very patient and understanding in my making him wait period. After a few months he took me on a trip to the Lake of the Ozarks. This is where we, (well you get the idea) for the first time.

Now, back to my title, should I or shouldn’t I. So, now here I sit at the Lake of the Ozarks on August 23rd. Hmmm, you do the math on this one… I’m thinking he wants to get lucky.

3 comments(s):

That is an incredibly sweet, sweet story!!!

By Blogger Me, at 8/24/2005 2:20 PM  

The 2 of you are so lucky to have each other! Yes, he should get "lucky"! This just renews my comment about the cave. Not only would the cave be a great place, but where better than where it all started, to renew your vows?!?!

By Blogger Tina M, at 8/25/2005 9:10 AM  

What a beautiful story! And, yes, GO FOR IT!

By Blogger Tammy, at 8/25/2005 11:17 AM  

post a comment

<< Home