My Life As A Middle Child - Putting Together The Pieces

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Way Back Wednsesday

It's that time again, time for WAY BACK WEDNESDAY. This week's assignment from mama duck is a Wedding Picture.

My DH and I were married on January 2, 1999 at the Holiday Inn.

This is a picture of us on the couch in the lobby area.

Now, before you start wondering what is up with these two, let me tell you our story.

We decided we didn't want a big traditional type of a wedding. We were both in our 30's and really just wanted a simple ceremony with our family and closest friends in attendance. We even decided not to have a reception and instead opted for a champagne toast, hor d’oeuvres, cake and punch. We found a beautiful house belonging to one of the college’s alumni groups that would allow us to rent it. We thought it was perfect for us, as there was a 2nd floor for me and Lumpy to get dressed and then on the first floor, there was a large room with a fireplace and Christmas decorations for the ceremony, with an attached room for the toast and food. (It even had a kitchen for any prep work needed.)

So anyway, a couple of days before our wedding, the weather outside turned frightful. Dumping approximately 3 inches of snow and ice on top of the snow we already had. Then the day before our wedding, the same thing happened again creating over 6 to 8 inches of treacherous snow and ice. Needless to say, we were very concerned about the weather. We received a call late on Friday (the day before) from the alumni house, telling us that they would not be able to clear the sidewalks and parking lot and therefore, they were canceling our reservation for the next day. Hello, this isn't a party I'm having, it's a wedding!!! Also, did you perhaps notice the date? I got married January 2nd, the day before was January 1st… a freaking holiday!!!

I immediately started calling around to find a place to hold the wedding. Everywhere I called told me they couldn’t help me and that the person in charge of the banquet rooms would be back on Monday. I finally lost it and started to cry and the girl on the other end felt so sorry for me that she called the banquet person at home and got her to call me back. They were wonderful… they agreed to give me a small banquet room! So, this is how I got married at the Holiday Inn.

OK, there was actually way more drama, with a Maid of Honor 80 miles away, DH to be with laryngitis, clogged pipes, missing cake and more, but I will save all of that for another time.

As this is actually my second marriage, here is a picture from my first marriage at 19.


I actually rented the dress for $200.



OK, I had to post this picture. This is the cake from my first wedding… my Mom made it for me. Wasn’t it great!!!

If you haven't played already, there is still time left. Get your post out there and then hop over to the kept woman and let her know I sent ya and that you played.

7 comments(s):

That is so sweet that the Holiday Inn girl listened and helped you out. I'm gonna cry. Just when you think the world is full of selfish a-holes...amazing.

Happy marriage!

By Blogger Mama Duck, at 8/03/2005 9:00 PM  

Aw, that's a great wedding story. What's a marriage without utter chaos?

Um, folks, I'm hoping that was a before shot on the couch in the lobby. I can just imagine all the hanky panky if it was afterwards, and the staff having to tell you to "GET A ROOM!"

By Blogger ieatcrayonz, at 8/03/2005 10:01 PM  

What a great story. I have a say that goes "If it ain't a cluster, I ain't doing it." Kinda sounds like what you went through!

But, in the end, you got married and that's what is important.

By Blogger Tammy, at 8/04/2005 8:32 AM  

Wow, what a cake!!!! Great story too!

By Blogger Jennifer, at 8/04/2005 8:57 AM  

I well remember how frazzled everything was. The ceremony itself and reception were both great. Everything turned out for the best! Besides, after you guys hit Hawaii, leaving the rest of us to the weather, you probaly forgot all about the drama! hehehe

By Blogger Tina M, at 8/04/2005 9:12 AM  

Oh my... I can't wait to hear all those other details some day.

(You got married on one of my babies birthdays!)

By Blogger Me, at 8/04/2005 9:18 PM  

tkw (aka mama duck) - yes, I was was great of her. I think she could tell that I was about to break. She was actually my last hope. If she couldn't help us, we were about to call off the whole thing and just get hitched on the beach in Maui. While this would have been beautiful, we would have been disappointed not to share one of our happiest moments with our family and friends.

crayonz - it would be totally boring without utter chaos. They say stormy weddings make the best marriages!

HA HA HA on the photo comment. As we couldn't go anywhere to do additional shots and the hotel lobby was only so big, we had to improvise and do a few set ups. This was one of them, as I am always sitting on DH's lap. (at least I did before we got old & married).

No, GET A ROOM for us. We had a hotel room booked elsewhere with a huge jacquzzi tub. I'll post it for you sometime.

teh - You are correct!!! And yes, the fact that we got married was most important.

jennifer - thanks for stopping by to read my story. Not to worry, the rest of my life is pretty much like the day before my wedding, so there are way more posts like this to come.

Also, the cake tasted as great as it looked.

EA - ohhh, I'm sorry was it still bad weather here while I was in Maui playing on the beach and drinking Pina Coladas all day? hehehe

meritt - I knew that we picked a great date! Yes, someday I will tell the rest of the story.

By Blogger KGrams, at 8/08/2005 9:22 PM  

post a comment

<< Home