My Life As A Middle Child - Putting Together The Pieces

Monday, March 20, 2006

It's a big decision...

the question is, am I a big enough girl to make it? (No EA, we are not talking about body size here, for that, I am definitely big enough.)

I have several very good and very close friends. I also have one absolute very best friend in the entire world. Lumpy and I have been friends since the fourth grade and have shared many things together both good and bad. I can't imagine my life without her and I am sure she feels the same. She actually says we have to remain friends for the rest of our lives as we know too much about each other.

So anywho, Lumpy and I are in the same business and every few years she calls me up and says her office has a job I should apply for. Normally, I just laugh it off and that's the end of it. I did interview with them for one position, but decided to stay put. Well, about a month ago, we were talking and she mentioned that due to the increased size they have grown to, that she can no longer handle everything she has been doing and that I should come work with her. I laughed the comment off as usual and thought nothing more of it. She called me a few weeks ago and said... I've been really talking you up and have them up to $_____ per year, will you call them? My reply, Oh, you're serious about this, I guess I need to talk to my DH.

I met with them today and they have offered me the job. It is doing the same thing I am currently doing, except they have a different system I would need to learn and a little more involved work as I would be the only person in my department. (read this part as no BPT with control issues) I will lose 1 week of vacation (I currently get 4) and would actually have a commute to work, but they are offering me a 2 digit increase in pay.

Can I put my comfort level of 11 years with the same employer aside and move to a new company? I'm 99.9% sure I'm going to make this move, I just have to wait for the formal ltr and to tell my current employer.

If you have any thoughts, comments or words of wisdom, please let me know.

kgrams - who's wondering how many pairs of shoes she can purchase with a hefty pay increase.

5 comments(s):

I'm guessing the 2 digit increase means in front of the decimial point? - right?

By Blogger Fantastagirl, at 3/20/2006 9:19 PM  

fantastagirl - the 2 digits are actually in front of the comma. I'm still questioning the amount myself.

By Blogger KGrams, at 3/20/2006 10:15 PM  

Wow. I say go for it! I know you are probably happy where you are at, but if the friends says that it is a good place to work, go for it.

I have worked with a dear friend for almost 7 years. I even followed her to my current job. There is nothing better than knowing you can trust someone completely at work. That is very rare.

Oh, and I charge for this kind of advice. That would be one pair of shoes. Please. Size 7. Thanks.

By Blogger Tammy, at 3/21/2006 8:53 AM  

I think that you should not just tell them, "YEAH!" but "HELL YEAH!"

By Blogger ieatcrayonz, at 3/21/2006 9:44 AM  

OMG.

I love reading about people who actually make money.

It's like a fairy tale to me. Actually being paid to work...sigh...

Go for it!

By Blogger Unknown, at 3/21/2006 2:14 PM  

post a comment

<< Home