My Life As A Middle Child - Putting Together The Pieces

Saturday, July 02, 2005

Be Careful... not everyone plays nice in cyber world

What the, how the, son of a, Rasen frazen, %*$(%^#)%$)#*a#$%$#(^%*. And just how was your day? I am so glad that you had a wonderful Friday. Now you must suffer through mine… ah ah ah, don’t click on the X. Misery loves company and who knows; just maybe this information will help you sometime in the future.

First let me start by saying I REALLY HATE Spammers, Hi-Jackers, Spyware, Adware and all of the other really mean despicable people and programs out there in the cyber world that make our lives miserable.

Earlier this week, I was minding my own business blogging. OK, I was really reading other people’s blogs, but that’s not a crime, that what the blog world is for. Right??? Well while clicking on Next Blog (as if I don’t already have too many that I read) I started getting pop-ups on my computer. (Yes, I have a pop-up blocker and it is turned on, I have anti-virus software and I have a firewall.) I immediately donned my SpyQueen persona and closed the pop-up window (always close pop-up windows using Alt F4 as clicking on NO lets the slime bucket on the other end know they hit a valid address) got out of the internet and started running my adware and spyware tools. What I found was EliteBar, the new vain of my existence. I deleted EliteBar using Ad-Aware, Spybot and CWShredder. I also checked my program files and deleted it from there. Ahhhhhhh, life was good again and I was able to return resume communicating with my friends in the blog world.

Then, last night when on my computer, what should appear… Pop-Ups. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Well SpyQueen was not about to be beaten, so, once again I ran all of the tools that I had run the other night, then ran Hijack This (WARNING: You must be VERY CAREFUL when using this program as you can actually del files you need) and then ran a virus scan. All of the programs found my new arch enemy EliteBar and deleted it. I felt better, shut down the computer and went to bed.

Today, they decided to close the office at 3:00, so I actually got off work early (3:25… come on, you really didn’t think I would get out of there at 3:00 did ya?) I came home and booted up my computer as it was time for Stuff Portrait Friday. By the time I had logged onto the internet, pop-ups were flying at me left and right. Alright, this is WAR! (If you didn’t know it before, I am a little OCD and I will take on almost any challenge and I do not stop until I win and I will win.) So, I searched Google again on EliteBar and really didn’t find any additional info than what I already had. So, I ran all of the same cleanup tools I had run the night before, only this time before telling them to fix the problem, I copied down the object file # for the registry. I then went into the registry, found the item and deleted it (WARNING: DO NOT try this at home unless you are sure of what you are doing as you may delete a file your system needs!) 2 minutes later… you guessed it, more pop-ups. I checked the registry and the files I had deleted were back and had even more files were added to it. OK, to finish this off, let me tell you that I have spent a large portion of my evening on Google and spyware websites (Don't you just love the fact that a lot of them will let you run a scan on your system, will find items and then tell you to del the items, you must register and give them $. Also, when you try to find the object file # in your registry that they show on their scan, they can’t be found.) trying to get rid of this Rat Bastard (a name I normally reserve for use only when speaking about the ex-husband) EliteBar. I remember a conversation I had a few weeks with the new guy at work and he was saying the Microsoft has a new Spyware tool. I didn’t use this at first, as it is still in Beta. But then I thought, what the hey, it certainly couldn’t make this any worse, so I downloaded and ran it. Wow, the files it found were unbelievable. After deleting them, I went out to check for new postings and 5 minutes later, the pop-ups from hell were back. I went back into the Microsoft AntiSpyware tool, went into the scan options and told it to do a deep scanning. It found more versions of the Evil Nemesis called EliteBar. I then deleted these versions as well and as of 11:50 tonight, I am pop-up free. SpyQueen is the reigning champ!!! YIPPEE KIYAA.

Sorry if I was rambling, but I am tired and worn out. On a bright night, Friday Night is always Doodlebug Night and since her parents went out I watched her all evening. (OK, really no different then when they are here.) Yes, I took off the spyqueen hat for several hours and put on the KGrams hat. I like the KGrams hat much better.

So, I guess I won’t be joining in on Stuff Portrait Friday, as it’s already Saturday. Good morning and good night, I think it’s time for me to go to bed!

6 comments(s):

That's sucky. I get a little worried when I come across a blog (using that dangerous and addicting "Next Blog" button) and a pop up comes up and says something like, " I luv u." Usually it's a foreign (Singapore, etc.) blog.

To answer your inquiry on my site. Vision is an application that law firms use to calendar dates to avoid malpractice suits. That's what I used to do before I turned into a Mommy. Trained attorneys on various litigation oriented software. It's like teaching pigs to sing.

By Blogger Mama Duck, at 7/02/2005 7:56 AM  

Mama Duck,

Yes, that button is both dangerous and addicting. Howver, I guess 1 week of frustration was worth it as that's how I found your site as well as Crayonz and several others that I visit on a regular basis.

I knew I was drawn to you for some reason! I train insurance people to use their computers and the various programs needed. Somedays, I think it would be easier to teach pigs to sing.

OK, different progam...there is also a program called Vision for insurance professionals. I spent 9 months training 215 people on the system and then the Board of Directors (a bunch of men who make the decisions about things they no absolutely nothing about), decided to pull the plug for now.

By Blogger KGrams, at 7/02/2005 10:09 AM  

Absolutely feel your pain with all of those idiot programmers out there trying to invade our lives and fill it with crap, either to make a buck or get a chuckle out of it. Idiots.

I'm going to download that Microsoft tool as soon as I'm done here. That sounds awesome. And thanks for the Alt F4 trick - didn't know that one.

Kgrams hat is much more comfy for sure. Got any new pictures of Doodlebug?

I had to pass on stuff portrait day as well. I have a key chain from work that I'd have to edit out and my foyer is a tangle of baby gates. Not so pretty. And I can't really find anything for ex's except photos, which I'd probably have to edit as well. Maybe next week...

Happy independence day to you and your family and de spoiled brat!

By Blogger ieatcrayonz, at 7/02/2005 10:20 AM  

Hmmm, now I'm getting completely scared! I have pretty much broken my "next blog" addiction, but I'm having flashbacks of all the idiot singapore blogs that say "luv u" or "tHeRe uR" or something dumb like that!?

By Blogger N.F., at 7/02/2005 6:11 PM  

Hi, do you know one of your links on the side doesn't work? The one about "try back later"...

By Blogger N.F., at 7/02/2005 8:54 PM  

Crayonz,
Yes, some people in this world are just evil. Luckily for us, the good far out weigh the bad.

Glad I could give you a tip. I found out about the Atl F4 trick when I changed positions at my office and became part of the IT Dept.

Feather123,
My habit is hereby broken. It was fun while it lasted, but now I am only going to click on the links from the blogs I trust. Yes, I have those same flashbacks. There are some really scary blogs out there. One night I was happily clicking away on next blog, when I came across one that was talking about how he and a friend had been out drinking, doing drugs and running from the police. VERY SCARY PEOPLE OUT THERE!!!

P.S. Yes, that is my lil sis's (Easily Amused) blog, I actually took the link off as we were showing her Sister-in-Law R pictures of Doodlebug that were on my blog and didn't want her to go back in later and find sis's rantings about her boss which is also sis's father-in-law and R's dad. Enough time has passed that I will be adding it back on tonight. Thanks for the reminder.

By Blogger KGrams, at 7/02/2005 11:13 PM  

post a comment

<< Home