My Life As A Middle Child - Putting Together The Pieces

Sunday, July 17, 2005

Where has the time gone????

I sit here today on my Birthday, yes all together now...

Happy Birthday to me/you, Happy Birthday to me/you
Happy Birthday dear KGrams, Happy Birthday to me/you!

Anyway, today has been a mixed emotion kind of a day for me. I keep thinking how did I get to be this age, I surely haven't lived 38 years??? This then started a trip down memory lane, back to when the teenager was a baby and through his adolescent years. Doodlebug's Mommy let me have her most of today for my Bday and as always, I really enjoyed spending time with her. She reminds me so much of her Daddy at that age. I dug up some old photos of the teenager and thought I would post them with my normal posting of Doodlebug pics.

This was taken at Lump's house last weekend.

These 2 pics are from this week, when she turned 6 months old




These 2 pics are the teenager when he was 9 months old.


The only drawback to having Doodlebug is that eventually, she has to leave. It really made me start thinking even more than I normally do for us to try again. DH brought this up over dinner tonight as well. I made him quit talking about it as I was starting to tear up and it doesn't look good for the Bday Girl to cry at her own dinner. I think one of the reasons it was weighing so heavily on my mind is that I know that I am really and truly to old to try it again.

In this trip down memory lane, I remembered a funny story to share with you all. I remarried when my son was 10 years old. To get an idea of how young and innocent he was, here is a picture a family member took of my son walking me down the aisle.








As soon as we were married, my DH and I started trying to have a baby and were pretty frustrated that it wasn't working. Now my son always thought that kissing was sex. I of course let him believe this, as he was young and I wasn't going to tell him any different at that particular time. We were actually waiting until we were pregnant and then we were going explain it to him, we had even bought a book for him. Apparently, he didn't wait for us and found out some information on his own.

One day, we ran out for a few minutes and when we got back we found this note taped to the kitchen cabinet. I figured out what our problem was... an hour and a half! Hehehe Labor lasts a couple of weeks??? We laughed so hard when we found his note and still laugh today when we think of it. (You will need to click on it to actually read)
















Yes, he knows the truth now, at least I think he does, after all he is a Daddy now.

10 comments(s):

Let me start by saying....I'm first!!!! You know that never happens! nana-na-nana!!!

By Blogger Tina M, at 7/18/2005 8:36 AM  

Okay, I have that out of my system! I thought that I would post that little comment before someone snuck in there and got 1st place - wouldn't be the first time that happened!

I hope you had an enjoyable day. Sorry we couldn't do breakfast, but at least you were doing something you needed, sleeping. I was a little pensive yesterday also. I felt like the world and time were speeding by, but I was just sitting there and couldn't do anything about it. Nothings gonna ever change! I know how you feel. The pics of your teenager take me back! Our teenagers were so cute, what happened!?!? My DH & I were discussing the "giving back of Doodlebug" lastnight at dinner. I'm so sorry it's hard for you. Go ahead and cry, you deserve it. {hug}. I had mine at Ronnies when I was holding baby-B, right there in front of God and everyone Saturday night, hence the reason I went to bed so early. It's better to sleep off those kind of things.

The letter was just too cute. I remember hearing about that . Not to worry, I think he has the idea now! LOL

By Blogger Tina M, at 7/18/2005 8:45 AM  

Doodlebug and the Teenager do indeed look very much alike!! No Springer episode needed to figure out paternity on this one! ;)

By Blogger Mama Duck, at 7/18/2005 10:29 AM  

A very happy birthday to you grams. I swear I already wished you one on your birthday over at easily amused's site.

When you spoke of being too old to have more children at 38, it made me think of the quote:

"Women should stop having children at 35. Thirty-five children is plenty."

I'd say you're never too old to have kids until you start menopause. The risks are greater, but it's still possible, right? And as always, there is always adoption.

I enjoyed the pictures of Doodlebug. What, they weren't all Doodlebug? I should've know by the brown laundry basket, huh?

I'm not really understanding the "Doodlebug has to leave" and EA's "give her back" comments, but it's none of my business, so moving on...

That note was hilarious! I'd say that's definitely a keeper. Just make sure the teenager is nowhere around when Doodlebug gets the sex talk.

So sorry to hear about the tears on your birthday. I hope that you have a very happy, non-emotional week.

By Blogger ieatcrayonz, at 7/18/2005 10:45 AM  

LOVE IT. :) Looks like something my 9 year old would write. Thanks for sharing that...!

Also glad you are singing Happy Birthday. I was hoping you would!

:)

By Blogger Me, at 7/18/2005 4:53 PM  

I know someday I'll have to explain that to my son. He's 5 now and is already asking questions like "Why did God make me a boy?" and "Mommy, how did you get my sister out of your tummy?"

To which I just stare blankly and say something like "Do you want apple juice or orange juice, Son?"

By Blogger Tammy, at 7/18/2005 7:34 PM  

Thank you all for my B-Day wishes!!!

Ea - Quite the little devil this AM weren't you?

Ohhh, I am so sorry, "right there in front of God and everyone" that had to be so tough! {hug}

Mama Duck - we were just saying definitely no DNA tests needed.

Crayonz - Yes, I saw your comment at EA's and now I feel really special that I get 2 wishes from you. Any chance of a great big wet kiss or even a spit bubble from that adorable daughter of yours for my bday?

Yes, the brown laundry basket is a dead give away of the era of that pic. huh

I have once again confused you... I am so glad that I am not the only one confused. LOL While you say it is none of your business, I am putting it out here anyway. If you really don't want to know, then skip this paragraph. Ok, you were warned. The teenager and his g/f share custody of Doodlebug. What this really means is that I get her every Tues, Thurs & Fri night and Sat day. It's hard only having partial custody and the gap from Sat to Tues night is really long for me. DH and I did offer to adopt or do legal guardianship of her when we found out the kids were expecting, but g/f turned us down. As far as me getting pg again, this is a real long shot. I am missing some very important equipment for this job and it can only happen through IVF. We actually did this back in 2002 and I miscarried at 6 weeks. Yes, body and heart are definitely too old to go through the physical and emotional toll that IVF can take on a person. I know there is adoption but it isn't the same and at this time, we are not ready to go that route, as we do have Doodlebug and we also have my friend Gypsy with a 3 and 6 year old, not to mention that I have the wonderful children I have come to know through blogging... Baby Lauren, The Duckling and Peanut.

Yes,. isn't the note great. It's one of those things that I laugh about whenever I think of it. He totally gets embarrased if I bring it up, which is even better! If noticed, I even gave up a couple of my major blogging rules to post it.

On the go - Meany Pants, don't make me wish morning sickness on you. hehehe

Honey, I could have sex for 5 hours and it wouldn't do me any good, IVF is my only option. Plus, at his age, I don't think it would be good for DH, I do have to watch out for his heart ya know. LOL

Meritt - Yes, from the mouths and/or pencils of babes. That is babes on the edge of knowing way more than we want them to.

teh - yes, it is best just to totally change the subject. I found a cookie always distracted the teenager at that age.

By Blogger KGrams, at 7/18/2005 10:12 PM  

Thanks kgrams. As always, I admire your honesty. I kind of assumed that there was a sharing going on, but I didn't know to what to degree. In my mind, I suppose I told myself that you were lucky enough to have Doodlebug all the time.

I understand now about the pregnancy situation. I am so sorry to hear about your miscarriage. My pastor said it best this past Sunday when he stated that you will never understand the agony and heartache that a woman goes through after the loss of a child, whether in utero or when that child is 60 years of age. I am truly sorry.

And yes, Lauren is so happy to be your blogdaughter. I really hope she doesn't hate me too much when she's older for posting all these stories on the net about her. ;)

Okay, I have to admit, I misread the wedding photo the first time around. I thought it read "your son walking a family member down the aisle." I thought, "what a cute bridesmaid" and moved on. Hello, white dress? I'm an idiot. You were just lovely. I think the blonde and all those old flashback photos threw me off.

Thanks for breaking the rules just this once...

By Blogger ieatcrayonz, at 7/18/2005 10:56 PM  

Happy belated B-day Kgram. I hope it was a good one. What a beautiful grandbaby.
I had Dan at 34. my first two were at 18 and 21. I liked being a mom at 34 more than I did at 18. I guess I slowed down some.
Only 38...your still a kid.

By Blogger Call Me Grandma, at 7/19/2005 6:09 AM  

Military Mom,

Thanks for the belated bday wishes and for saying I'm only a kid. (That always makes me giggle) Yes, I have found that I am enjoying Doodlebug much more than I was able to enjoy the teenager when he was a baby. I guess it's just that wisdom thing that comes with age.

By Blogger KGrams, at 7/19/2005 6:28 PM  

post a comment

<< Home