My Life As A Middle Child - Putting Together The Pieces

Monday, October 31, 2005

WTF - When I was a kid

I remember Halloween when I was young...
We would really dress up with great costumes
We had cute little bags or pumpkins for our candy
All the neighbors would give out candy
Once you hit 12 years old, you knew that this would be your last year and even at that, you were pushing it.

Tonight, I had 1 actual small child. An adorable little 2 year old dressed up as bear. Maybe 2 other children under the age of 10. The rest of the trick or treaters were over the age of 12, did not have on costumes or if they did, it was some dollar store mask and were actually using back packs, kitchen trash bags or just collecting the candy in their hands. I even had 1 kid that had 2 bags and asked me to put candy in the 2nd one for his mom. What is up with this???

If it wasn't for the little bear that came by and Doodlebug, Halloween would have totally blown this year.

While I'm on the subject of what it was like when I was a kid, remember this? We loved not only eating the wonderful caramel coated popcorn and peanuts, but really looked forward to the prizes we would get. I had a bag (it wasn't even in a box anymore) recently, I was hard pressed to find any peanuts and for the prize...




Yes, this piece of paper was the prize. It wasn't even a sticker, just a find the hidden sea creature. Definitely a big WTF on this one.

3 comments(s):

I'm sorry Halloween sucked for you. It sucked the big one for us also. We just stayed home & watched Freddy Vs. Jason.....again!
I tried to call all of your #'s but no answer. We were going to come over & trick or treat. Yup, I didn't really see many kids wearing costumes. Deffinately, no cute bags.

Also, while you're on your WTF, there is the whole thing of "kids" coming to my door when the porch light is off. We NEVER went to a house if the light was off. That means they are NOT giving out candy! I quit giving out candy for the reasons you stated in the post. I didn't mind so much when my teenager was little. I wanted to give back to the neighborhood, so I put up with the 16 yr old, non costume wearing assholes. But now, it's gotten insane.

By Blogger Tina M, at 11/01/2005 6:57 AM  

I hate people.

What I called WTF on was the amount of people not participating in our neighborhood. We had tons of porch lights off but lights on inside. Come on people. Participate!

By Blogger Tammy, at 11/01/2005 8:13 AM  

I hear you on both issues. ;) Actually however, I'm happy to say that the 2 'oldest' trick or treaters I had were easily about 16 but were in 'costumes' of sorts! One, all in camo was a soldier and the second was dressed normally but had applied a 'wound' to his neck as if he had been mauled by a hungry zombie. The 12 year old crew are actually the ones going around with no costumes and pillow cases!

By Blogger Me, at 11/02/2005 5:20 PM  

post a comment

<< Home